Press "Enter" to skip to content

Rowlett woman leads police on low speed chase ending in Rockwall

Last updated on March 5, 2020

Share this story

On March 4, 2020 at about 11:17am, Rowlett Police department received a 911 call requesting a welfare check of a 30 year old woman in the 2400 block of Elmhurst St. in Rowlett.

Officers arrived and were met with the woman and her family. During the investigation, the woman left quickly with her four year old son. He was not restrained in a child safety seat or seat belt.

Officers attempted to stop her on a traffic stop and the woman refused. The woman and child’s welfare was of great concern to police.

After entering into the City of Garland, Rowlett Police requested assistance with deploying tire spikes. Garland Police responded and assisted, leaving one tire deflated.

At approximately 12:30 p.m., the Rockwall Police Department was made aware of a slow-speed vehicle pursuit initiated by the Rowlett Police Department that was traveling east on SH 66 into Rockwall.

The Rockwall Police Department assisted by blocking intersections in the interest of safety. After crossing over Lakeshore Drive, the female driver pulled into the parking lot of a daycare facility in the 600 Block of West Rusk Street.

Eventually the chase ended at the Children’s Park North daycare located at 695 W Rusk St in Rockwall, where police surrounded the car.

The daycare was immediately placed on lockdown as a precaution.

A Rowlett Police Crisis Negotiator was on the scene and attempted to have the woman unlock the car and surrender.

After some time negotiating, the woman seemed to have lost consciousness. Several officers broke the back window to retrieve the child, who police said lives with his grandparents.

The boy’s mother refused to exit her car, seemed to pass out and even started fighting officers. They eventually removed the woman, who was handcuffed and taken away by ambulance to the hospital for a medical and mental evaluation.

According to a press release from the Rowlett Police Department, the investigation is ongoing and no charges have been filed at the time of the release.

Share this story